What Do We Believe?
Seventh-day Adventists identify with the Protestant ideal - that the Bible is the sufficient and only authority needed for the foundation of personal faith. As such, all beliefs must be based on the Bible. Tradition and doctrine which comes from church administration, without the backing of biblical truth, is worthless.
However, it must be recognised that people often ask Seventh-day Adventists what they believe. And so, to this end, the church administration has put together an overview of beliefs held in common by all Seventh-day Adventists. These beliefs are often referred to as the Fundamental Beliefs of Seventh-day Adventists. What follows is a paraphrase of these beliefs.
Seventh-day Adventists Believe
- In a personal God.
- In Jesus Christ, as our Savior.
- In the Holy Spirit, the divine Comforter.
- In the regeneration and the new birth, by accepting the gospel.
- That the Bible is the inspired word of God.
- That righteousness comes by faith not by works.
- That salvation comes as a gift of God and is not received through any merit of the sinner.
- In the gifts of the spirit.
- That the Second Coming of Christ is very near and that it will be literal, personal and visible to all.
- That man by nature is mortal.
- That immortality and eternal life are gifts of God and are received only through Christ.
- That the dead are in an unconscious state.
- That there will be a resurrection of the dead.
- That the wicked will not burn eternally, but will be burned up.
- That the law of the ten commandments represents God's standard of righteousness
- That the seventh day is the Sabbath and should be kept holy.
- In support of the gospel through tithes and offerings.
- In baptism by immersion and the ordinances of the Lord's Supper.
- In discarding unhealthful practices, such as the use of drugs of all kinds
- That the followers of Jesus should manifest true Christian modesty in dress and deportment, and should avoid questionable amusements.
(This summary is courtesy of the Maitland Seventh-day Adventist Church)
To read the full text of the 28 Fundamental Beliefs, select the following link:
Copyright © 2018 Thornleigh Seventh-day Adventist Church